Saturday, March 30, 2013

Baking and why you should never let your infant help you crack an egg

All I can say is...WOW! I never knew baking with your infant could be so messy and yet so fulfilling at the same time. Let me start out by saying I hate messes. I get stressed out, start to sweat and I the next thing I realize is that I'm half naked, cleaning while my bub is hanging off my leg. This is what I was expecting.

We decided to bake Banana muffins. I started off pretty enthusiastically trying to get my little Jimbo involved and interested in what I was creating. His only goal was to shove everything possible into his mouth, including and not limited to, a half cracked egg, flour, and paper cupcake liners. So lets back track a bit. It started out fairly well..
Sitting pleasantly playing with his spoon and bowl

It wasn't long before Mr. Spoon was in his mouth and Mrs. Bowl kicked to the curb, er, floor.
She is on her way down

Alright, moving on, I decided against my better judgement to help Jim stir the flour. We ended up with his hand in the bowl grabbing handfuls and eating it.

Mistake made, mess everywhere, lets try something new! Help mommy crack an egg into the batter. As he helped crack the egg by squeezing the life out of it, he then decided to try it. Hmmm...not bad considering he was smiling! I turned for a second to grab a towel and sure enough, egg shells all over his chin...yum! I think i might see some in his poop :) Well after that little pit stop I decided to let him help get the pan...nice and simple..
Finally mommy found me something that is too big for my mouth

Okay, batter is done let me show him how I stir the batter with a beater, maybe he will want to help stir too because of all the vibration and stuff! Yeah..perfect idea. Again, he is more interested in eating it!

Now that the batter was made, it was time to put in cupcake liners. I'd offer to help him but I'm pretty sure he has got this!

We finally had reached the end! Muffins made it into the oven in one piece and I proceeded to clean. This is where I could feel stress levels soaring and blood pressure rising. I stopped, looked at my gorgeous meatloaf and decided that I would not freak out. I made the decision to enjoy every moment of the time I had with him, even the messy times! 

Score: Creative mommy 1; Stressed mommy 0

2 comments:

  1. Kudos to you Kelsey! I can barely bake with my older children and there you are attempting what I thought as the impossible and showing us the fun you had!

    ReplyDelete